last update : 28/11/2016
One day fast-track to Java, Unit Testing and BDD for non-developers
This course provides a fast-track route to Java development with a focus on automated testing. It assumes no previous programming knowledge. It covers getting started with a development environment right through to writing a application and various styles of automated testing.
The learning approach will focus on hands-on practice and examples. Example solutions will be provided at all stages.
Please bring your own laptop to this event. The demonstrations will be given on Windows, but you can also use Mac OS X
1) Download and install IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download Please use the default settings.
2) Download and install Java JDK (Java Development Kit) http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html Choose the 8u73 version. Install the x64 version if using Windows on a modern laptop.
3) Download processing.org and unzip https://processing.org/download/?processing. Choose the 64 bit version. No installation is required for this.
- Confirm installations are set up correctly
- Getting started with the development environment (Intelij IDEA)
- First 'Hello World' application
- Writing a simple application using Object Oriented techniques, collections and a graphical front-end
- Use cases and acceptance criteria for the test automation example
- Implementing your first unit test
- TDD (Test Driven Development) using the Red, Green, Refactor cycle
- BDD (Behavior Driven Development): Implementing Gherkins (Given, When, Then scenarios) and Step Definitions
About the presenter:
John Stinson has worked in technology in Software Development for 22 years. He is passionate about technical styles of test automation. He has spent the majority of his career working in finance technology after graduating from Imperial College, London.
Submit your details to download the brochure: